The Philosophy Forums
Tips? admin [at] philosophy-forums.com

The philosophy forums is a small community involved in discussing issues of philosophical significance. If you wish to participate in the discussion, you can register (it only takes about a minute) and start posting your ideas.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
April 19th, 06:29 AM   #11
Redserpent2000
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 89
Default

Hi Spud, I am really sorry not to have posted a reply to you until now. I can't think how I missed it.

OK lets see,

Quote:
Would you say it is better to be able to make the decision?
Well this depends on whether or not the other parties mind if the one doing the 'cheating' not making a decision but quite enjoy the freedom that multiple relationships bring. But I think I know what you are getting at. If one of the parties involved asks, is it me or is it her? (not wanting to be sexist in any way) then yes the man should be able to make a decision, but then how long would you give someone to make a decision like that?

I'm not sure that being unable to make a decision would indicate a bad character though.

Quote:
Everyone feels negative at times, it's natural. What I'm talking about is the actions caused by those negative feelings.
I understand what you are saying. In the heat of the moment people are apt to do the most silly things, but that is just the heat of the moment. I'm sure you have at some time in your life been quite upset over something and either said of done something which you later regretted. But this would not mean you have a bad character.

Red
 
April 20th, 12:48 PM   #12
Spud Sabre
A Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redserpent2000
Hi Spud, I am really sorry not to have posted a reply to you until now. I can't think how I missed it.
It's alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redserpent2000
Well this depends on whether or not the other parties mind if the one doing the 'cheating' not making a decision but quite enjoy the freedom that multiple relationships bring. But I think I know what you are getting at. If one of the parties involved asks, is it me or is it her? (not wanting to be sexist in any way) then yes the man should be able to make a decision, but then how long would you give someone to make a decision like that?
That depends on what one party is looking for in the other, I would presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redserpent2000
I'm not sure that being unable to make a decision would indicate a bad character though.
Maybe not a bad character per se, but an indication of someone who can't think under pressure perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redserpent2000
I understand what you are saying. In the heat of the moment people are apt to do the most silly things, but that is just the heat of the moment. I'm sure you have at some time in your life been quite upset over something and either said of done something which you later regretted. But this would not mean you have a bad character.
Of course it wouldn't, but do you agree that someone who can remain calm under stress is more "together" than someone who can't?
__________________
Don't take what I say seriously.
 
April 20th, 02:38 PM   #13
Lomax
Philosopher-King
 
Lomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nuneaton, UK
Posts: 1,779
Default

I have Tourette's, and struggle as a consequence to remain composed under strong pressure. However, I don't think it's really a matter of morals; there's a difference between a moral and a merit. I'd say I lack the virtue of being able to compose myself, but since it's not really my choice, I'm not so sure that any moral observations can be inferred.
__________________
"War does not determine who is right, only who is left" - Bertrand Russell
 
April 20th, 05:30 PM   #14
Spud Sabre
A Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
I have Tourette's, and struggle as a consequence to remain composed under strong pressure. However, I don't think it's really a matter of morals; there's a difference between a moral and a merit. I'd say I lack the virtue of being able to compose myself, but since it's not really my choice, I'm not so sure that any moral observations can be inferred.
Can a moral observation be inferred for someone else?
__________________
Don't take what I say seriously.
 
April 21st, 01:04 AM   #15
Lomax
Philosopher-King
 
Lomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nuneaton, UK
Posts: 1,779
Default

Hello SpudSabre,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre
Can a moral observation be inferred for someone else?
Sorry, yes; I meant a sound moral observation. I mean, if I am physically unable to maintain relaxation under pressure, it's not really my fault, any more than it's my fault I can't fly back in time and prevent 9/11.

Lomax
__________________
"War does not determine who is right, only who is left" - Bertrand Russell
 
April 21st, 12:17 PM   #16
Redserpent2000
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 89
Default

Hi Spud,

Quote:
Of course it wouldn't, but do you agree that someone who can remain calm under stress is more "together" than someone who can't?
All things being equal, I most certainly would agree with you. But as Lomax has intimated, there are those, through no fault of their own, who are sometimes incapable of maintaining a calm composure.


red
 
April 22nd, 06:18 PM   #17
Spud Sabre
A Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
Hello SpudSabre,



Sorry, yes; I meant a sound moral observation. I mean, if I am physically unable to maintain relaxation under pressure, it's not really my fault, any more than it's my fault I can't fly back in time and prevent 9/11.

Lomax
Certainly. As you may know by now, I like to make inaccurate grand generalisations to prove my point.
__________________
Don't take what I say seriously.
 
April 22nd, 06:20 PM   #18
Spud Sabre
A Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redserpent2000
Hi Spud,



All things being equal, I most certainly would agree with you. But as Lomax has intimated, there are those, through no fault of their own, who are sometimes incapable of maintaining a calm composure.


red
Indeed. It has been hard for me trying to maintain my own composure.
__________________
Don't take what I say seriously.
 
April 23rd, 10:58 AM   #19
Redserpent2000
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 89
Default

Hi Spud, I am really sorry if I have said anything that has upset you. It has never been my intention to upset anyone just for the sake of doing it. However, philosophy, as well as opinions, always has a way of bringing out the worst, and best, of people sometimes! One of the funniest ones I've read about was Wittgenstein's poker.

I have always tried to read the posts in an unemotional way. Very difficult at times to do especially on the ones where I have very strong feelings about. I hope that we can be friends even if we have differing philosophical stances.

Red
 
April 23rd, 12:17 PM   #20
Spud Sabre
A Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 477
Default

I think you've misinterpretted my last post, Red. I meant it has been difficult for me to maintain my composure in life, not in this discussion. You have not said anything that upsets me, and I hope we can be friends too.
__________________
Don't take what I say seriously.
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.